Need a place to test or store your games online? Y8 Storage offers static file hosting for game studios. Follow this guide to get access.
- Don’t share your password.
- Suspicious use patterns will be blocked.
- Use the given folders to keep everything easy to find.
- Hosting is for sharing and backing up games you have developed or are authorized to share on the developer’s behalf.
- Illegal use or material will result in account investigation, removal, and ban.
- Never link to storage-direct.y8.com in production or in high traffic places.
Getting an account
To be eligible to get a storage account, you have to have at least one application in account.y8.com/applications.
When you have created an application, visit account.y8.com/storage_account and follow the instructions.
Connecting to SFTP server
To connect, you will need to download an FTP application that supports SFTP.
The following is a list of popular clients.
Connection details are at account.y8.com/storage_account after choosing a password.
Your login name will be your account email.
Please allow at least 10 minutes before trying to connect with your newly created account, because it is not created instantly.
After a certain amount of failed logins, the system will block futre logins attempts for a certain time.
Keep default settings in other tabs.
After you connect, there will be some folders created there for you. Do not rename or delete them, because new ones will be created again. Please use these folders to keep your content well structured.
- _backups* - If not using github, use this to upload assets and zip sources.
- share* - For sharing files with your team.
- html5* - For hosting JS games (static files only).
- flash* - For Flash games.
- unity* - For Unity WebGl games.
- unity_webplayer* - Was for Unity WebPlayer games
Create folders inside the above folder for each individual game even if it’s only one game.
Linking uploaded files
After uploading a game, first test if it works using
hostname, only then try
storage.y8.com link, because the latter will be cached.
For example, if your directory is
spajus, and you have uploaded a
Unity WebGL game into
unity/Sumo01/ SFTP folder, following link should open
To link the game in production, remove the
-direct part from link:
PRODUCTION LINK: http://storage.y8.com/spajus/unity/Sumo01/index.html
It is very important to remove
-direct in production links. Games that will
ignore this rule will get blocked due to exceeding storage server traffic
If you have trouble connecting to your account:
- Make sure port is set correctly (211). Common mistake is to try with port 221 instead.
- If you are using older version of WinSCP, try updating to latest.
- If you have tried too many times, your IP may have been blocked. Take a 20 minute break and try later, after double checking login details.
If you see an error page when trying to open a game, make sure that:
- URLs are case sensitive, make sure your uploaded files and folders are linked with exactly the same case as they are named.
- Make sure that permissions for uploaded files are rw-rw-r– (or 664) and for uploaded folders: rwxrwxr-x (or 775).
- Add /index.html to the end of your url if you see error 500.
Content that is hosted is cached using a CDN for fast deliverly.
If you need to change files that are cached, just rename your game folder and update the links.
Using an intermidary iframe will allow you to do this without breaking any upstream sites that correctly linked to the game.
upstream site > game index iframe > gamev1.0.0
Resetting forgotten password
As Y8 Storage uses a seperate password, if you need to change it, visit account.y8.com/storage_account
After changing password, please wait 15 minutes before trying to use it, or you can get blocked for too many bad password attempts. It takes some time for server to apply the changed password.
Submitting game source code or backing up files
Put zipped files into the _backups folder. Don’t worry if they disappear from the folder. This is expected behavior for archiving in the cloud.